March 15, 2006: This page continues todocument my construction progress of Galadriel's Mirror Gown and Drape, started on my Galadriel Mirror Gown Construction page... Galadriel wears the outfit when she meets Frodo in Lothlorien after the fall of Gandalf in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings...
I have cut out and sewn together the belt, and will be doing the beadwork in the coming days...
March 22, 2006:
I did the hemming of the skirts today. It went very fast, considering the beads... I really like the shape of this train.
Here are a few photos...
As you can see, our floor is finished, and I'm back in my front sewing room... (The original idea of the builder, I'm sure, was that this would be a dining room, but we never used one of those... ;)
Next will be the beadwork on the belt...
March 23, 2006...
And, I started on that last night. I'm not sure yet how I like it. Seems something is missing... But I guess I'll wait until I get a little farther along... I also want to add the little flowers on either side of the big one, like Mel mentioned... and I haven't done one of those yet... I may also add silver lined seed beads to the center of each sequin, because there is not enough bling yet, as far as I can tell... We shall see...
Here are the first pics of the beading I did last night. Took a while to do the first flower, and it was hard working with the sequins. I like working with the beads, though, except for when my thread gets tangled...
March 25, 2006.
I have four of the flowers done, and the undulating strand of beads going around them, along with the border rows... I've noticed I'm getting faster; it takes about 1/2 hour for one flower.
March 27, 2005:
I've completed 9 of the big flowers, with the little ones on either side, and the bead border... It looks like I'll be needing to make about 29 flowers altogether...
March 29, 2006.
I continue to bead the belt, and at this time have 13 flowers beaded. Today I also started the slightly mad idea of adding beads to the gown itself... This will take a while; here are some beginning photos. I've started in the bodice, and am approximately half way through the front bodice panel.
Because of the flash, and I think because of the close up photos and the silver lining in the beads, they tend to look dark in the top photos. I've taken a few more, from farther away, here below. I get the impression the added beads do add more bling, and I think I like it, but it will be a long job, this one.
March 30, 2006
Today I finished over-beading the front bodice, and got about half way down the left sleeve. I like the effect better, the farther along I get. It will take a while. Here are progress photos:
March 31, 2006
I spent a good part of the day continuing to bead the left sleeve... Now, minus about six flowers, I've got this sleeve done. So, it qualifies as an almost over beaded sleeve. I have to put it away, though, and give it a rest. More photos.
It is a creeping process that is going to take quite a long time to finish. Still, inching along...
April 4, 2006:
I've completed over-beading the back bodice, and started on the right sleeve. I have 40 grams of beads left, and have placed an order to get more, but will surely run out before I get them. Here are some photos of the backside of the gown, showing the beading progress.
Here you can see where I attached a bead strand that I'm going to use to hold the sleeve in place. It is kind of like a glove, part of the strand goes over my fingers, and the other part over my thumb. :) The sleeves are highly impractical, and I'm trying to add a bit of ease of wear!
I cut out the panels, and they are pinned and hanging. Not sure if I'll leave them the way they are. Here is one photo for this page. If you click it, it will take you to the Drape Construction Page...
April 17, 2006:
I've completed the belt, and am continuing to overbead the gown. So far, on the overbeading, I've done the bodice, front and back, and both sleeves. I've started overbeading the front panel of the skirt, but have not gotten very far yet. I will run out of beads more than likely in the next couple days, because I only have one 20g pack left. (I used 120g on the upper part of the gown. ) I have more on the way.
Here are some photos of the progress:
April 27, 2006:
I ran out of beads and had to wait until my order came in, but now I'm continuing with the beading.
I have continued overbeading the gown, and have the front skirt panel and gores overbeaded in the silver-lined beads. Still to do are the two back panels, plus an overbeading of clear luster beads over the whole gown. The icn to the right is courtesy of Sarasicons, by Sara, an lj friend.
Before starting on the skirt panels with the silver-lined beads, I started the second go-around with the clear luster beads on the front bodice. You can see my start on that in these three close-ups.
Peter Jackson's visualization of The Lord of the Rings woke my latent passion for costuming and inspired me to learn to sew.
This page and its links reflect my best efforts in Lord of the Rings costuming.
Projects linking to their own pages are featured here. Click the links in the navigation bar to visit the individual pages, or scroll further below to the image links and see a quick overview of the costumes.
Galadriel's Mirror Gown
Construction Page Two
Welcome to Yvette's
Nearly ten years ago I set out to teach myself to sew, so that I could create inspired costumes such as those featured on my site.
I created this site to share what I've done. It launched August 18, 2004, and has been growing ever-since.
In addition to costume construction pages, there are pages featuring portraits of the costumes being worn.
Costuming is a hobby I love documenting, but I do not do commissions, nor do I sell patterns.
Please visit where your interests lead you, and enjoy.
The navigation on my site is under construction. I'll be getting the links set up page by page. In the meantime, please bear with me.