A project I've determined to start... and have started research on. I want to recreate King Baldwin IV, as depicted in the movie Kingdom of Heaven. Specifically, I want to do his white robes, seen here in the photo to the left. I am planing on recreating the mask out of pmc... fun fun!
I have the product to start the mask... and will start when other things have been finished.
I've been hunting for fabric, and have found a few things I think will work very well.
First, a white striped silk... I plan on using this for the headwear... after adding a light gold embroidery into some of the stripes...
And also, the brocade, a 100%silk brocade in ivory and gold. I decided to drop the idea of blue in there... and go with gold.
October 13, 2006:
The above fabrics arrived today, and I am very excited... I couldn't wait until morning to take some photos, so I did this with much light on, and also used the flash. The fabric is draped over my dress form... Yes, Severus is underneath, and I used my Ram Das turban to prop up the headwear fabric... :D
February 11, 2007:
I started up muslin work on a set of gloves... I need one glove for this costume, and also intend to make them for some of my other works... I decided to put this here, though... as the thought to make gloves first came to me in contemplating this costume...
They need some work still around the first knuckles, and where the gussets stop. I'm going to try carrying the darts all the way through, to form a Y where the fingers start, like that first dart I have running along the forfinger... So far, I am liking the progress... The overall fit is good.
February 12, 2007:
First adjustment, second muslin:
Some things seem closer to what I want... and some farther away. Next, I am going to take in a minute fraction, tightening the fingers a bit at the seam allowances...
I've tightened as planned, and think I've got my muslin... It isn't exactly there, but very nearly. One thing I still want to change is where I place the knuckle darts... They are too far to one side; I want them more in the middle of each knuckle.
I am going to make a few sets of gloves to go with my Victorian Ball Gown, currently under construction. I started a pair in black silk noil, to be trimmed in green, today. I'll be back to King Baldwin's glove, and the rest of his costume, at a later date...
March 26, 2007:
Today I began work on the mask, starting by shaping a base out of paper clay... This is a daunting task, and I hope I am up to it... Right now, it just reminds me of Jason... ;p
Once the base is completely dry, I will begin applying thin layers of silver pmc, shaping and skulpting the mask over this base... at least, that is the plan.
March 28, 2007:
At the Metal Clay Yahoo list, there were several discussions recently concerning the use of Creative Paperclay, the product I have used above, and cork clay. Seems Creative Paperclay contains volcanic ash, as is stated on the package, so that upon firing, it will not burn away. This is good and bad. The good is that it will mean the piece will not collapse when the base is gone; it won't be gone. The bad is that Creative Paperclay will also not shrink to the same degree pmc will, so the pmc may split or crack on firing. This means I need to build something over the paper clay piece before starting with the pmc, and I will use a layer of cork clay. The cork clay will burn away, but then the silver will have the support of the paperclay. It may even be that I can re-use the paper clay in future projects, but this depends upon whether it cracks and crumbles after firing... I doubt it, but maybe.
I am dealing with some issues of cracking around the eye and nose areas... Wondering if after the whole thing is dry, I should use elmer's glue in the cracks...