The construction as I'd left it on the last page...
December 13, 2005...
So, I put in the trim around the boat-neck collar today... this took some time, as the running stitch came out, and I had to undo it, and put it in again... but I'm happy with how it came out so far...
Tomorrow I'll be cutting out the velvet skirt panels and getting them hung... If I have my way... After that, it's time to continue sewing together the skirts of the underdress... and to put in zippers... and and and... :)
December 16, 2005...
Well, it took a couple more days than I thought to get the velvet cut out... I did it this morning, and now the panels are hanging. I have the panels pinned on the bodice of the overdress, but not sewn in yet. The underdress is not there, as I have it off the dressform, and I'm working on sewing together the panels, and getting ready to start the hemming.
Here are a few photos of the overdress, with the skirt panels pinned on:
Today I worked on the hem of the underdress, and have it bag-lined now... It is currently pinned to the bodice, and I'll sew it in tomorrow.
I first sewed the panels of the skirts together, then I hung the skirt panels back on the dress form inside out, and pinned the hem together. Then, I sewed the hem together, flipped it right side out, and re-hung the panels... This is where things are right now:
And here, you can see Susy, sleeping on the train. ;D
December 20, 2005:
Now, except for the cinching rings on the sleeves, the underdress is finished. The last two things I did was sew the skirt in the waist seam, and sew in the zipper. Now, I'm in the process of going through the same steps with the overdress skirt. I have the panels sewn together, and the bag-lined hem finished, and currently, the skirt is pinned into the waist seam. Here are a couple photos, showing both dresses.
December 21, 2005:
I took the skirt panels of the overdress back off, trimmed away the excess inside where it's bag-lined, added a zig-zag stitch there for security, and then re-pinned the waist seams together. Both dresses are together now, and I took a few more photos.
I hope I can sew in the waist seam tomorrow, and add the zipper. Then, what's left are the details with the cinching of the sleeves, and adding the hitch so I can sweep the front panel to the side, and a hitch for the trains. :D
December 29, 2005:
Now I have the toggles sewn in so I can sweep the front panel to the side, and I've also sewn in some very tiny toggles on the wrist area of the underdress sleeves. These sleeves are about seven inches longer than my arm, and will scrunch up now on the lower arm when I close the toggles, and hold the sleeve edge just where I want it on my hands. Here are a few indoor photos of the toggles and the sweep.
In the next few minutes I'm going to take the dress outside, and get some photos of it all around, in natural light. :) It's finished!
Here are the outdoor shots... You can click on any image for larger, higher resolution.
This first one with no flash, came out a tad gray... The rest, with flash, came out just a little on the yellow side...
The gown is finished. I used 10 yards of forest green cotton velvet and 20 yards of gold leaf silk organza from Exclusive Silks, whom I have linked on my Links Page, and 10 yards of rivers jacquard silk from Silk Connections, also linked on my Links Page. I used two toggles to hitch the front panel sweep, and six toggles, three on each wrist of the underdress sleeves, from The Heartland Bead Store here locally. Also, I used 2.5 yards of narrow bullion trim, and 1/2 yard of the wide bullion trim in the yoke, both from MJ Trims, and unfortunately, both no longer available.
My pattern is self drafted, and I plan to put up my pattern page soon. The beginnings of my dress diary can be found on my Green Gown Construction Page One, containing sketches, muslins, dye experiments, and the beginning of assembly...
Also on my to do list are photos with me wearing the gown, commissioning the medallion belt, and making a coordinating mantle. I have started on this mantle, and have a new page opened to log my progress... The Green Gown Mantle Construction Page... Making this dress has been a joy, and now I'm left pondering what will be my next project... ;)
Peter Jackson's visualization of The Lord of the Rings woke my latent passion for costuming and inspired me to learn to sew.
This page and its links reflect my best efforts in Lord of the Rings costuming.
Projects linking to their own pages are featured here. Click the links in the navigation bar to visit the individual pages, or scroll further below to the image links and see a quick overview of the costumes.
Eowyn's Green Gown
Welcome to Yvette's
Nearly ten years ago I set out to teach myself to sew, so that I could create inspired costumes such as those featured on my site.
I created this site to share what I've done. It launched August 18, 2004, and has been growing ever-since.
In addition to costume construction pages, there are pages featuring portraits of the costumes being worn.
Costuming is a hobby I love documenting, but I do not do commissions, nor do I sell patterns.
Please visit where your interests lead you, and enjoy.
The navigation on my site is under construction. I'll be getting the links set up page by page. In the meantime, please bear with me.