This page will journal my reconstruction of a Fortuny Delphos Gown. It will not be an attempt at an exact reproduction, but rather something that reflects back upon his creations, and also upon the style of the Ancient Greeks.
Images of examples of Fortuny's Delphos Gowns have been my major guideline. These two below have been particularly helpful. Each photo links to the website of the museum housing the gowns. The blue one is at the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the coral one is at the Museum fuer Kunst und Gewerbe in Hamburg.
Another very helpful site with photos is the Fortuny website. There are many wonderful photos there.
The technique I used to dye and pleat my fabric is called Mokume Shibori dying. This is my first time using the technique. It is very rewarding. A helpful website in this technique is Jane Steinberg's.
The fabric: After Mokume Shibori dying:
May 9, 2006:
May 10, 2006:
At this point, I'm thinking the fabric may be too thick, and I've decided to pull in the overhanging tunic, reminiscent of the peplos of the peplos of a Greek chiton. I've eliminated some fabric at the side seams of the peplos, for shaping. I don't think Fortuny's did this, but I feel like I can use the shaping.
Another thing I've experimented with is ironing a piece of the fabric scrap, to see how it would look if I flattened it. Here are the results of that little experiment.
I'm undecided at the moment, so I am leaving this question alone in the meantime.
May 14, 2006:
I've started the beadwork around the neckline and at the bottom of the peplos, and here are a few progress photos.
The photos are with and without flash. It is very hard to capture the actual color,
May 17, 2006:
The toggles are in, and much of the beading is done, but the sleeves need to be altered.
Today, I've been struggling with a fitting issue., and contemplating moving where the peplos drops in front and in back.
Here are some photos. I have them of the gown as it is now, with the sleeves tucked in the way I will alter them. And next to those, I have the peplos pinned, showing how much I'd want to take it up, to make it more flattering for my shape. I think I want to take it up in front, and in back, at more of an angular crescent. I have it pinned first in a very angular way, and second, more crescent.
May 19, 2006:
I gathered in the V, just to get a better visual, as I think that's the way I want to go, but want to be extra sure before cutting. It lays a bit flatter gathered this way.
I've put the himation through two dye baths, first silver, and then a combination of vermilion and saphire blue. It is drying now.
Here are some photos, showing the himation, still tied, not quite dry, and also showing the gathered v.
I am going to alter the sleeves now, as the himation continues to dry. I won't cut the v until I've tried it on.
June 24, 2006:
After a long pause, and a trip to Germany and Italy, I have returned to work on my Blue Fortuny.
Today, I have finished the outer hem, and really, all that is needed now is a few internal bits of seam work, and the lining hem. Here are some photos. The first few are just the gown, and then, I have some photos with the himation.